This is the place to start your Shun Sora collection: the Sora Chef's Knife. Of course you know it's the essential kitchen knife. But what you might not know is that since the Sora line features traditional Japanese blade and handle shapes, in Japan, the Sora Chef's Knife would be called a gyuto. It's used for all the same purposes as a chef's knife—all-around food preparation. But the Sora Chef's has less curve than a Western chef's knife, which means it contacts the cutting board along more of its length, so more food is cut per slice. The Sora has a gentle roll off the tip compared to the large roll of a Western style knife, so the Sora needs to be lifted less, making cutting more efficient. Once you try the Sora Chef's Knife, you'll wonder what you ever did without it.
The Shun Sora Chef's Knife is part of the exciting Shun Sora line that provides exceptional handcrafted Shun quality at an amazing price. Sora uses Shun's proprietary Composite Blade technology to bring together a VG10 san mai cutting edge with a Japanese 420J stainless steel upper. This technology puts high-performance material exactly where it's needed—on the edge. The two blade sections are laser cut, then fit together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Braze welding permanently joins them. The attractive wavy pattern at the joint is based on traditional Japanese sword hamon lines. While Sora's blade shapes and handle design are traditional Japanese, the textured PP/TPE polymer blend handle material provides a contemporary look, secure grip and balance, and is easy to maintain.
- THE must-have kitchen knife
- Hand-sharpened 16° double-bevel blade (32° comprehensive)
- Steel: Proprietary Composite Blade Technology; VG10 san mai cutting core; Japanese 420J blade upper
- VG10 is clad with one layer of stainless steel on each side to create the san mai edge and provide stain resistance
- Handle: Traditional Japanese handle design in easy-care, textured PP/TPE blend
- Blade length: 8 in. (20.3 cm)
- Handcrafted in Japan